Isabella's Age

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 4, 2008

POEM ON ADOPTION

I read this poem today on another adoptive mother's blog and felt I needed to share it with you to help you understand what I've been feeling from day one.

Song of the Waiting Mother

I'm pregnant, but my tummy isn't growing.
And no one ever calls me "Little Mom."
The public simply isn't overflowing
With questions that I'd handle with aplomb..
There are no special clothes to mark my waiting.
Nobody stops and smiles as I pass by.
The absence of a due-date is frustrating
And looking at the nursery makes me cry.
When I'm overdue no one will worry.
The phone won't ring and ring as friends check in.
I can't induce my labor in a hurry,
My new life as a parent to begin..
Adoption is a worrisome endeavor
,And waiting all alone is not much fun.
To be "with child" a year seems like forever.
Dear God, we're ready! Please send us our little one!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that really hit home.
I can really relate to that poem.
Pretty near made me cry.

Tammy said...

Natalie, I'm glad that the poem helps you communicate how you feel...I can't remember what blog I found it on...it looks like you are at the beginning of the journey...we are only 7 weeks into waiting for a referral. If you need to ever vent or chat send me a note. Are you on the yahoo group? If not it is Canadaadoptsethiopia...its such a great support group!